a Taj MuttHall Dog Diary: I Stayed Home

Saturday, March 01, 2003

I Stayed Home

The extra chicken was cooked for Rem's meals. Ice filled the cooler. The car was packed. The dogs were strapped in. It was 8:00 P.M., right on schedule (hopefully miss the outgoing traffic but still get there around bed time). We drove to the gas station, filled car with gas. Drove home. Went to bed.

I realized how exhausted I was--got only 2 hrs sleep Thursday night (I actually attribute about 60% of that to a new medication)--and I realized that I wasn't looking forward to the weekend at all. That's rare for me and agility (you might have guessed). Rem had simply snoozed all evening, although he lifted his head from time to time and alertly checked to see how my packing was progressing. Usually he hangs out and supervises the process. When I finally asked whether he Wanted To Go, his head came up, ears up, eyes bright, head half-cocked, and he trotted along out to the car. Where he immediately curled up on the seat and tucked his head under. This is a dog who usually insists on looking out the window in case an Official Cow appears on the horizon, even at night. He did sit up after a while on the way to the gas station, but he was leaning head and body against the seat to prop himself up, and then eventually he lay down again.

So I also decided that he probably wasn't going to enjoy the weekend much after all. Got home, cancelled the hotel, tried to call the show secretary to let them know I wouldn't be there (too late for fee refunds, oh well) but she was already gone for the weekend; tried to call another friend who might have been going to Turlock, but she was already gone for the weekend, and I was too tired to try calling other people. So it's possible people will be worried about us not being there, but oh well.

So I got about 10 hours of sleep. Rem wanted to go out 2x last night, but the first time there was a big cat fight that he wanted to cheer on, so I'm not sure whether that counts. Don't know what he did out there--I don't generally monitor when its DARK and COLD and I'm TIRED and I'm in my slipper feet and there might be DANGEROUS ANIMALS like COWS or something out there.

He's similarly low energy level again this morning, but he still doesn't look hang-dog and accusing like he was doing Sunday night and Monday morning.

I think I'll go to the flea market to get my nominal exercise, then probably come home and take a nap. I'm still a bit tired. Wonder why?

No comments:

Post a Comment