a Taj MuttHall Dog Diary: Waiting...and Missing...

Monday, October 09, 2006

Waiting...and Missing...

SUMMARY: MRI scheduled; friends have great weekend

Despite the orthopedist's dire predictions about how hard it would be to get an MRI appointment, I called first thing this morning and got an appointment for Wednesday afternoon. Maybe I just got lucky, but I'll take lucky. Now--it's just waiting until then, and then after that, waiting for "about a week" for the doctor to get the results.

My back is holding up fine today, and I've had no diazepam (valium) or hodrocodone (codeine/vicodin) since yesterday morning. So that's one thing out of the way again (I hope).

I've heard that this weekend's competition ran for almost 12 hours both days (that's not counting getting set up and initial walkthroughs and such)--that's a VERY long day, and I know my knee couldn't have managed it. So in that sense, I guess I'm glad I didn't go. BUT three of my friends who have been working for what seems like ages on the last leg(s) for their championships ALL finished this weekend--Jasmine the Huberhound (who was supposed to be our pairs partner this weekend, but we'll try again in 2 weeks), Scully the Princess (aka Little Black Dog) (with whom we've traveled and shared hotel rooms a lot), and Brenn the Border Collie (one of our two teammates for this year's Nationals Team Tournament, and with whom Tika earned a Novice Pairs leg, an Advanced Pairs leg, although has yet to get a Masters Pairs leg with...). And I missed them all! All those months (well, I don't know how long, but it seems like forever) standing unobtrusively on the sidelines, keeping my fingers crossed--and I missed them all.

I just about jumped out of my chair in excitement at the news. It's quite a thrill to have anyone finish a championship, and even more so for a friend to, and even more so for three in one weekend... I'll just have to jump up and down and yell and scream the next time I see them. Which will, I hope, be in 2 weekends.

I was able to walk around this weekend (still--have been all week--) at the grocery store and mowed the lawn (carefully making turns) and across the malls to two movies, but still, walking not nearly at my normal pace, and trying not to favor the one leg. But the weather is gorgeous again today and I don't even have to be on drugs to appreciate that.

Now, back to my exercises and trying to find things to do to keep the dogs mentally and physically active and in good training form. Without being able to run--or nuthin'. I set up a jump bar this morning, stepped one step backwards, and the knee popped again. Hurt for about 15 seconds, then faded rapidly away to its normal state. Argh.

No comments:

Post a Comment