a Taj MuttHall Dog Diary: Twas the Night Before Sunday

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Twas the Night Before Sunday

Another nonpeaceful night in which all the creatures were stirring...

I went out yesterday afternoon for lunch and half a ballet (my first ever: Nutcracker) with friends. When I returned, the housemate told me that someone (presumably not him) had thrown up on the front doormat, which I finished cleaning up. The dogs greeted me, but Tika not with the usual insane screeching abandon. Indeed, she remained quite subdued the rest of the afternoon and evening. Example--a minute or two of enthused tug-of-war, then, when I tossed the toy, she followed it sedately and then lay down in a corner. So I knew she wasn't feeling well. In fact, all the dogs seemed unnaturally calm. I thought some of it might be the storm that was working its own way into a tantrum.

Went to bed about 10:00, the wind howling around the house. Got up at midnight because Tika wanted to go out; she and Boost both showed signs of diarrhea. That's with me standing on the wind-and-rain-blown porch in my bathrobe and slippers with a flashlight; usually I just let them go out, but I wanted to see why I was dragged from my bed to see what was the matter. (You know, away to the back deck I flew with a flash...light.)

Got up at 2 a.m. because Boost wanted to go out; she and Tika both showed signs of diarrhea. Got up at 4 a.m. because Tika wanted to go out; ditto. Jake went out every time, too, but I wasn't watching to see what he was up to. Got up at 6 a.m. because Boost wanted to go out; she pooped again but this time the other dogs stayed inside. Fortunately it wasn't heavy rain at any time during the night so the dogs weren't soaked through to the skin and it was fairly easy to dry them off.

Then, finally, got up at 8 a.m. because Jake felt that I had slept in plenty long enough past my usual wake-up time (7-7:30ish). I'm a little woozy. It's pouring rain out there now. But I'm left wondering: Why? What did they find in the yard? Are we done with it? Are they OK? As much a I like a good puzzle, this is NOT a good puzzle, it's a very bad one. Sigh.


  1. How is everyone feeling? Did you figure out what was causing the big D?

  2. I didn't figure it out. Nothing that I could see in the well-rained-upon poop still left today. And everyone seems to be fine now. It's just very weird to have 2 of them at the same time. I'm keeping my eyes open for anything that might be odd. It even occurred to me that someone could've tossed something poisonous into the yard, but I don't know who it would be or why--my neighbors all have dogs, too. -elf